Interview with a Wake Tech ESL Instructor

We’re excited to introduce our new blog column where we will feature an interview with a Wake Tech ESL Instructor.
Students,
If you would like us to interview your teacher, please post a comment with your teacher’s name and place where he/she teaches. Please suggest questions for the interview.

Today we are honored to interview Susan Hoffman.

photo courtesy of Keum Hi

photo courtesy of Keum Hi

Q:How long have you been teaching ESL?
SH: I have been teaching ESL for ten years, going on eleven – all with Wake Tech. and all at Fuquay-Varina United Methodist Church.

Q:What do you love about your job?
SH: I love watching the students progress in their English. It is very rewarding to to see them gain confidence in their speaking abilities and in themselves. You form a bond with some of your students. You see their struggles but also their accomplishments.

Q: What do you usually eat for breakfast?
SH: I usually have an english muffin or half a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. I always have coffee!

Q: Are you a sports fan?
SH: I am a sports fan. I’m currently watching the World Series but I like football, soccer, basketball, golf, and tennis. I’m a big Roger Federer fan.

Q: Do you enjoy watching wrestling or car races?
SH: I am not a race car or wrestling fan.

Q: If you could have any super power, what power would you like to have?
SH: If I could have a super power, I would like to be able to fly. It would be fun to see where the hawks and eagles live and view the world through their eyes. Plus, you could go places quickly with no traffic!

Q: Do you have a pet?
SH: I have a pet dog. He is a “Sheltie” – a Shetland Sheep Dog. He weighs about 30 pounds and is a member of our family. I talk to him all the time. We solve a lot of problems on our walks!

Q: What is in your refrigerator right now?
SH: If you were to look inside my fridge, you would find fruits and vegetables, milk, eggs, and leftovers.

Q: Please tell us about your best vacation.
SH: Many years ago I went on a sailing trip to the West Indies. It was an awesome experience. I went snorkeling, scuba diving, and toured many of the Windward Islands. I had never been to such beautiful but impoverished places.

Q: Please give some advice to our ESL students.
SH: Keep practicing! Work on your pronunciation. If you have questions, ask them!!!

Q: Please give some advise to future ESL instructors.
SH: Relax. The students want to learn. Ask the students what they want to learn. That will help you with your lesson planning. Use your sense of humor and make the class fun.

Thank you, Susan!

6 thoughts on “Interview with a Wake Tech ESL Instructor

1. Susan, you are such a wonderful instructor! Thank you for all that you do at FFUM and for your students!!
    Robin

2. Dear Susan,
    One of the things that I like about you is the optimism that you transmit to all of us.Thank you for your patience.You are an excellent teacher!