September 25th was National Voter Registration Day . Volunteers across the nation hit the street to register lots of potential voters. However, if you missed it, there’s still time and other ways to register to vote.
Are you eligible to vote in NC? To register in North Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of North Carolina and the county in which you live for at least 30 days prior to the election
- be 18 years of age by the day of the next general election
- have your rights of citizenship restored if you have been convicted of a felony
- not be registered or vote in any other county or state
Did you know… …
- You can register in person. Find your local election board office. https://vt.ncsbe.gov/BOEInfo/
- You can register online. Start here: https://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/
- You can register by mail.
By-mail Voter Registration
- Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form. Page 3 is the form Page 15 is the mailing address
- Box 6 – ID Number: Provide your North Carolina driver’s license number, or North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles ID number. If you do not have a driver’s license, then list the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Box 7 – Choice of Party: North Carolina does NOT require that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections. If you do not affiliate with a party you may choose the party primary you wish to vote in. If you choose to register with a party you can only vote in that party’s primary.
- Box 8 – Race or Ethnic Group: You are required by the Federal Voting Rights Act to fill in this box. However, your application will not be rejected if you fail to do so.
- Review the “Who can vote?” section above and check that you’re eligible.
- Sign the form.
- Send the completed form to your local election official. To register by mail, the form must be received by Friday, October 12.
Our free Citizenship Preparation class will be offered this summer, 2017!
Beltline Education Center (BEC), 3200 Bush St., Raleigh 27609
Saturdays, 9:30am-12:30pm, Room 324C
Registration: July 15, 2017
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-334-1509