Check your answers for the questions in:
Part Four: US Government
Section Two: The Legislature
13. Name one branch or part of the government.
- the courts
14. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
- checks and balances
- separation of powers
16. Who makes federal laws?
- Senate and House (of Representatives)
- (US or National) Legislature
17. What are the two parts of the US Congress?
- the Senate and the House (of Representatives)
18. How many US Senators are there?
- one hundred (100)
19. We elect a US Senator for how many years?
- six (6)
20. Who is one of your state’s US Senators now?
- Kay Hagan
- Richard Burr
21. The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
- four hundred thirty-five (435)
22. We elect a US Representative for how many years?
- two (2)
23. Name your US Representative.
- Renee Ellmers, David Price OR George Holding
- Check http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ to find out which one
24. Who does a US Senator represent?
- all people of the state
25. Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
- (because of) the state’s population
- (because) they have more people
- (because) some states have more people
47. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
- (John) Boehner