5 MORE Ways to Use “Get”

A couple of weeks ago, we looked at 5 ways to use the verb “get.” Many of you left comments using “get” correctly! Great job! This week, we will look at 5 MORE ways to use “get.” These phrases are all common idioms. When you are using idioms, it’s important to use the whole phrase, not just part of it, and to use all the words in the right order. If you need help with these phrases, ask your teacher to give you more examples.

1. Get + Used to – You may know that we use “used to” to talk about things we did in the past. However, in this case, “used to” means “accustomed to.” When we put “get” and “used to” together, it means become accustomed to or become comfortable with. For example:
    – I will never get used to the heat in NC in August.
    – At first, Tong thought the toilets in the U.S. were strange, but after a few months, she got used to them.
    – It takes a little while to get used to a new job.
  2. Get + to + Verb – If you “get to” do something, it means you are allowed or permitted.
    – Children are excited when they get to play in the park.
    – Jenny got to meet the president last year.
    – Will we get to go backstage after the concert and meet the band?
  3. Get Along (With Someone) – If you “get along with someone,” it means you enjoy spending time together, and you don’t fight. I have 2 sisters. When we were young, we didn’t always get along, but now we get along with each other very well. Here are some more examples:
    – Cats and dogs don’t always get along.
    – I get along with all of my coworkers.
    – Robert didn’t get along with anyone at his old school, but he has lots of friends at his new school.
  4. Get Away With – We use this phrase when we do something bad, but we don’t receive a punishment. Maybe there is no punishment because nobody knows that we did this bad thing, or maybe nobody cares. If you need to use a verb after “with,” use the gerund (-ing) form.
    – My teacher was in the restroom when I got to class at 9:35, so I got away with being late.
    – My mom always knew when I did something bad, and she always punished me. I never got away with anything.
    – Michael gets away with so much. He’s always doing bad things, but he never gets caught.
  5. Get Someone to Do – When you “get someone to do” something, it means you don’t do it. Instead, you persuade, require, or force another person to do it. For example, I hate cutting the grass, so I get my husband to cut the grass. I ask him to do it, and I promise that I will clean the toilets (which he hates), so he agrees to cut the grass. Here are some more examples:
    – Ashley got her roommate to take her to the airport.
    – I got my sister to buy a gift for my husband so that he wouldn’t see it in our house.
    – Whitney got the Time Warner Cable man to give her extra channels for free.

Even More Ways to Use “Get”

In this video, a teacher will review the uses of “get” that we have already learned. She will also introduce several more expressions that include “get.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VbiexMkFM

Your Turn

You have learned MANY meanings of “get” and phrases that use it. It will probably take you a long time to become comfortable with all of them, and that’s ok. For now, choose 5 new ways to use “get,” and practice them. Write sentences in the comments section to show off your new skills!