Here is a list of excellent online dictionaries you can use. Bookmark the pages for easy access. If you are looking for other reference books or textbooks links, go to our Class / Textbooks Resources page.
- Dictionary.com – Definitions include sample sentences, word origins. synonyms and antonyms. Also, check out the Thesaurus (it has synonyms and antonyms for a word).
- Merriam-Webster: A famous English-English dictionary. Has definitions in easy English and audio pronunciation. –>
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English – Text dictionary that has pictures whenever possible. Limited audio pronunciation.
Text Dictionaries with strong translation support:
- Word Reference: English-English dictionary AND English-Spanish, -Portuguese, -French, -Italian, -German, -Russian, -Polish, -Japanese, -Chinese, -Arabic, -Korean, and more! A fantastic site !
- English Page’s Foreign Language: Word translation and definition in over 40 languages.
- Vietnamese, French, Chinese Dictionary – Focused on English translation in these languages.
Picture Dictionaries (good for beginners):
Language Guide: Click on a topic. Move your cursor over an image and listen to the pronunciation. Once you have reviewed the words, use the Speaking and Listening Challenges to quiz yourself. –>
- <– Picture Dictionary: A good site! Click on a topic. Click on a vocabulary word. See the word in 8 different languages, plus the English definition and a picture.
- ESOL Help Picture Dictionary: Click on a topic. See the words. Also has games, tests, flashcards, and worksheets for more practice.
- Easy English Picture Dictionary – Learn new words via pictures and subject topics (some items are in videos and have audio, but most don’t).
- Visual Dictionary – (For Advanced Learners) has 6 main topics (Vegetal Biology, Animal Biology, Human Body, Music, Transport and Clothing). Pictures but no audio for words related to those topics. Has some general pictures but many are extremely detailed with advanced vocabulary.
Links to more dictionaries:
Do you know another good online dictionary? Please share in the comments section!