This page if for YOU if you are just starting to use a computer, laptop or tablet and are a bit scared or confused by it. Maybe you know a little but want to find out more or improve some of your skills (like typing). This should help you too.
* denotes websites recommended by Wake Tech Teachers
Starting with the Basics
- Computer English – slideshow teaching vocabulary for computer related items
- GCF Computer Basics – Main page to MANY modules on understanding devices and how to use them
- Basic Computer Skills – Tutorial that takes you step by step though the basics
- Beginner’s Guide – Starting from how to switch on a computer, this PDF guide walks you through how to use your computer , search the internet and use email
- Computer Literacy – Reviews basic computer, word processing, internet and email skills. Has practice exercises and a quiz too
- English For Everyone – Computer Fundamentals – Scroll down and you will see a series of worksheets to help you with computers, applications and the Internet
- How to use a Mouse – GCF module
- Mouse Exercises 1 – Chasing a squirrel will help you learn how to use a mouse.
- Mouse Exercises 2 * – Simple exercises from SeniorNet for placing, clicking and drag and dropping with a mouse
- Mouserobics – He’s not Mickey Mouse but this mouse will get you a workout.
- Keyboard Information – this video explains different parts of the keyboard and how to use them
- Typing Tutorial – GCF interactive module on improving your typing skills
- FreeTyping Games * – Use an array of games to make typing practice FUN!
- Learn Typing * – Beginning to Advanced Typing Lessons, Typing games and tests.
- Peter’s Online Typing Lessons * – Typing lesson and additional exercises to improve finger / key coordination.
- Typing Web * – Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced lessons
- Dance Mat Typing – Typing practice wrapped as a game
- Fun Typing Games – more fun typing games to speed up your typing
- FastFingers – typing practice -test and improve speed