he U.S. Food & Drug Administration ( FDA) FDA has a website with lots of public educational information that can be helpful to our students or any new immigrant to our country. There are general brochures, fact sheets, videos and even Teacher Kit’s or Educators’ packages. Here are a few areas you may want to check out as you prepare health, food/nutrition, medicine lessons.
- Medicines in My Home – Teacher’s Kit (Grades 6-8) – has pre-test, worksheets, student handout, video and sample drug label realia along with a colorful PowerPoint presentation.
- Nutrition Facts Label program and Materials Page – has links to interactive online tool for the Nutrition Facts Label, “games” in the Snack Shack and multmedia.
- Many, many short pamphlets, fact sheets and even an occasional story can be found at their catalog page. Most have PDFs that you can download but you can also order quantities for free. You can browse among the 300 items but let me point out the following
- Great selection of Women’s Topics
- Teacher’s Resources related to cosmetics
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) also has a great website – geared around the MyPlate campaign.