There are great websites out there that have wonderful lesson plans that can be easily adapted for our Wake Tech ESL classes. This page list sites that are FREE.
ESL Virtual Library of Lesson Plans – a huge set of lessons plans that were developed in various North Carolina community colleges. Explore this site – there are gems is every nook and cranny. Here are just a few
- North Carolina Curriculum Guide – detailed lessons organized by topic
- EL Civics Curriculum – Three year project that has lessons on a WIDE range of areas from government, citizenship, community resources, the legal system, American culture, consumer education, money management, personal information, parenting, employment, and forms. Check out Year 1, Year 2 and Year 3 .
- Survivor North Carolina – interesting health literacy lessons focusing on leading causes of death in NC : heart disease, cancer, stroke, chronic lung disease and diabetes.
Minnesota Literacy Council Curriculum and Lesson Plans – a series of guides with detailed lessons running from literacy to GED. Check out
- Employment Readiness lessons
- Reading for Life Lessons
- Literacy/ Low Level handouts that correspond to online student activities (note that we included the student site in the English Blog on the “Multi Skills” page)
- Story by Story Phonics Lessons – contextual phonics program
Health Talk: A Health Literacy Curriculum for English Language Learners developed by Calgary Immigrant Women’s Association (CIWA) – There are nine modules that make up this series. Each module is a downloadable PDF file that focuses on one particular part of the health care system and contains multiple lessons plans for that subject that can be used for various levels. There are wonderful visuals and activity sheets. Although the series discusses the Canadian health system, many of the activities can be used as is or with a few modifications. Module #1 is the one that has the most references to the Canadian health system – the rest have some references but provide generic health education.
- Module 1 – Getting Health Care
- Module 2 -Symptom and Injuries
- Module 3 -Family Doctor
- Module 4 -Medical Appointments
- Module 5 -Visiting Health Care Professionals
- Module 6 -Navigating a Health Facility
- Module 7 -Filling Out Medical Forms
- Module 8 -Medical Emergencies
- Module 9 -Medicine
iCivics – website founded by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor meant to provide students and teachers with materials for reinvigorating civic learning. The teacher’s part needs login but provides free lesson plans and activities.
LanternFish / BogglesWorld – has many teacher resources including lessons – look at these sections for ideas
Using English – has short targeted lesson plans for specific grammar points