Teachers often needs some direction or ideas when teaching phonics to their students. Here at Wake Tech, we were fortunate to have Shelley Hale Lee as a instructor for many years. In fact, we continue to use her book At the River and Other Stories in our classrooms.
Her website, Emergent Resources is full of information for all teachers. However, if you are teaching low literacy students or are using her book, this site is a MUST.
- Classroom videos showing specific methods and activities for teaching phonics
- Resources for Teaching – these include Phonics for ESL Diagnostic, BATT (Beginning Alphabetics Tests and Tools), scaffolded reading sequence, and a three page Resource List detailing specific readers, teacher’s guides, PD articles and phonic sites.
- Presentations and Articles by Shelley
- an archive of Newsletters and an opportunity to subscribe to future newsletter
There is also a free download of the Teacher’s guide for At the River and Other Stories at http://wayzgoosepress.com/books/at-the-river-and-other-stories/ .
While at Wake Tech, Shelley gave PD classes to our teachers. Here are a few of the resources she shared with us in those workshops:
- 44 sounds of English
- PD Guided Reading Activities 2016
- PD resources list
- PD short and long e demo lesson 2016
- Sequence of teaching phonics