This week, Americans will celebrate a truly American holiday – Thanksgiving. This short video explains the history of Thanksgiving:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdzjdT_LkY
To learn more about Thanksgiving, search the internet for answers to these questions!
- In what year did the Pilgrims celebrate the first Thanksgiving? Where did they celebrate? Why did they have this celebration?
- Approximately how many people attended the first Thanksgiving? What groups of people were represented?
- Who issued the proclamation making Thanksgiving an annual national holiday? When? Who led the campaign to make it official?
- On what day each year is Thanksgiving celebrated in the United States?
- Name three popular ways to serve leftover turkey.
- How long did the first Thanksgiving celebration last?
- Name 10 foods thought to have been eaten at the first Thanksgiving and 5 traditional Thanksgiving foods that were probably not eaten.
- How many pounds of sweet potatoes did NC produce in 2010?
- Why did President Roosevelt change the date of Thanksgiving?
- How heavy was the fattest turkey ever raised?
- What happens to the live turkey given to the president each year by the National Turkey Federation?
- What percentage of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving?
- How many towns in the U.S. are named Turkey? Where is the closest one?
- Who designed the first giant balloons for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?
- Which character has appeared as a balloon in the Macy’s parade the most?
How many answers did you find? What did you learn?