Where do you shop for food? Do you go to Food Lion? Harris Teeter? Wal-Mart? What about the NC State Farmers Market?
Where is the Farmers Market?
What can I buy there?
At the market, you will find a large, covered area, where local farmers sell fruits, vegetables, and plants. The market also has other buildings where you can buy meat, cheese, wine, bread, candy, gifts, soap, and lotion all made in North Carolina.
When can I go?
The market is open Monday through Saturday 5:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
What else can I do there?
If you get hungry while you’re there, you can eat in one of three restaurants. Market Grill is open for breakfast and lunch (7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) Monday through Saturday. The Seafood Restaurant is open Monday through Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. and Sunday 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. And the State Farmers Market Restaurant is open Monday – Saturday 6:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
If you want to meet American farmers, buy NC products, or try authentic North Carolinian food, visit the NC State Farmers Market. To find out what’s in season (which fruits/vegetables are ready to eat now), look at this chart. You might be able to buy everything you need at the Farmers Market to make one of these delicious salads!
Discuss with your classmates, or write a comment to answer these questions:
- What are your favorite fruits and vegetables? How do you like to prepare them?
- Where do you buy produce (fruits and vegetables)?
- How is shopping for food in the United States similar to shopping for food in your country? How is it different?
- Do you buy what’s in season, or do you buy what’s in the supermarket?
- Why is it important to buy food from local farmers?