March is Women’s History Month! This month, we celebrate all of the things that women have contributed (added/given) to society and the planet. Since 1987, March has been the month when the achievements of women in the United States could be recognized (seen) and honored. Here are some of the women whose work we celebrate during Women’s History Month.
- Madam C. J. Walker – Mrs. Walker became the first self-made millionaire in the United States in the early 1900s. Self-made means that she earned all of her money. She did not get it from her family. Madam Walker was the first free (not a slave) child born in her family after President Lincoln ended slavery. When she grew up, she created a company that made hair care products for African American women.
- Susan B. Anthony – Anthony was a leader in the women’s suffrage movement (groups of people who wanted women to have the right to vote). She was arrested in 1872 because she voted in the presidential election. She died in 1906, but her work continued until women got the right to vote in 1920.
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton – Stanton started the women’s suffrage movement and worked for the right to vote until her death in 1902. Before her work for women’s suffrage, she worked to end slavery in the United States.
- Sandra Day O’Connor – O’Connor was the first female Supreme Court Justice (judge). She served on the court from 1981 until she retired in 2006.
- Clara Barton – Barton founded (started/established) the American Red Cross. She was a nurse, and she never got married because she knew that married women couldn’t do very much outside of the home at that time. She believed that helping people was more important than being a wife.
- Sally Ride – Ride was the first American woman to travel into space. In 1983, she was the mission specialist on the space shuttle Challenger. The first female astronaut in the world, however, was Valentina Tereshkova, a Russian cosmonaut (astronaut) who traveled into space 20 years before Sally Ride.
- Amelia Earhart – Earhart was the first female pilot to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean.
Tell us about a famous woman from your country. March is Women’s History Month in the United States, but women around the world also deserve to be honored! Please tell us about an important woman in the comments. Who is she? Why is she famous or important?