Can you answer these questions about North Carolina? Search the internet for the information. Then check your answers at the bottom!
- Where did North Carolina get its name?
- What is the title of the state song?
- How many state parks are there in NC?
- How many lighthouses are there in NC?
- What famous soda was invented in New Bern, NC?
- Which NC city is known as “the furniture capital of the world”?
- America’s largest home is located in NC. Where is it, and what is its name?
- Which 3 U.S. Presidents were from NC?
- Which famous pirate ship sank off the coast of NC?
- Name 3 professional sports teams in NC.
- Carolina is the feminine form of the masculine name Charles. Carolina was an area owned by England and named after King Charles I. In 1710, Carolina was divided into two parts – North Carolina and South Carolina.
- The state song is called “The Old North State.” You can listen to it here.
- There are 27 state parks in NC, from the mountains to the beach. Three of them are in Wake County. Click here to see a map of all the state parks.
- There are 12 lighthouses in NC. Click here to see a map of all the lighthouses. Click on each one to learn more about it and see pictures.
- Pepsi was invented in New Bern, NC in 1893.
- High Point, NC is known as “the furniture capital of the world” because many of the world’s largest furniture companies are located there. High Point also has an event every year called the High Point Market. Furniture professionals come to NC for a week to see the biggest, most complete showing of products.
- The Biltmore Estate is located in Asheville, NC. The whole estate is almost 11 square miles (more than 28 square km), and it includes a house, gardens, stables, a hotel, and several restaurants. The house has 179,000 square feet (more than 16,600 square meters), and 250 rooms!
- Andrew Jackson (7th president), James K. Polk (11th president), and Andrew Johnson (17th president) were all from NC. However, each one was living in Tennessee when he was elected.
- Blackbeard’s ship, the Queen Anne’s Revenge, sank off the coast of NC in 1718. You can see pieces of it at the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort, NC.
- The Carolina Panthers (football), Carolina Hurricanes (hockey), Charlotte Hornets (basketball), and Carolina Railhawks (soccer) are all major/national league teams in NC. We also have many minor league baseball teams, including the Durham Bulls and the Carolina Mudcats. You can easily see the Hurricanes, the Bulls, or the Mudcats play in this area.
What did you learn about NC today? What would you like to learn more about? Do some research, and present it to your class!