When a big event like last week’s winter storm happens we like to talk about it. We use the simple past tense to talk about things that happened and finished in the past.
How do we change a verb to it’s past tense form ? Simple. We take a verb like “snow” and add “ed” to form the past tense.
- It snowed a lot last week.
- Everything turned to ice.
- Wake Tech canceled classes
- We stayed home.
But English is not simple… and MANY verbs are irregular in the past tense.
- Here is a list of the 50 most common irregular verbs. These are very useful to learn.
- This is a much bigger list of over 370 irregular verbs. It’s great for a reference but I don’t suggest you try learn them all at once!
You can read through the lists or use these two videos to learn many of them