Idioms About Money

What is an idiom? An idiom is a group of words that has a meaning separate from the individual words. For example, when we say, “It’s raining cats and dogs,” we don’t mean that dogs and cats are literally falling from the sky. We mean, “It’s raining a lot.”

There are many idioms in English and in other languages, too. Today, let’s look at idioms about money.

First, watch this video lesson:

Now, let’s look at the idioms again.

1. loaded (adj.) = having a lot of money. For example, “My sister has a new job at a famous university and is making a lot of money. She is so loaded that she bought a new house and a new car in the same week!”

2. make a killing (v.) = make a lot of money (usually at one time). For example, “My boyfriend won a poker game, and made a killing. We’re going to go on vacation to the Bahamas now.”

3. make ends meet (v.) = survive (pay your bills, eat, etc.). For example, “Before Juan started working full-time, it was difficult for him to make ends meet. Now that he gets a regular paycheck, he can buy everything he needs without worrying.”

4. live hand to mouth (v.) = barely survive, only have enough money to eat. For example, “Jackie works three part-time jobs, but she’s still only living hand to mouth. She can never save any money.”

5. pay an arm and a leg (for something) (v.) = pay a lot of money. For example, “I want a nice car, but I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for it.”

6. pinch pennies (v.) = save money. For example, “When Dayla’s father lost his job, the whole family started pinching pennies.”

7. put in / give your two cents (v.) = give your opinion. For example, “If you want my two cents, I don’t think you’re ready to get married.” “No one asked for your two cents.” “What’s your two cents? Should I say yes?”

Look at these sentences. What is the best expression for each sentence?

1. Anna ________ for her new house, and now she has financial problems.
  2. I’m not _____, but I’m not broke, either. (broke = poor, with no money)
  3. If you want to buy a new TV, you need to ________ in order to have enough money for it.
  4. It’s difficult for Wanda to _______. Sometimes she doesn’t pay her bills on time.
  5. You didn’t ask for my _______, but I’m going to tell you anyway.
  6. If Jose gets this new job at Google, he’s going to ________!
  7. Many people _________ because they don’t have a lot of money. They just live paycheck to paycheck.

4 thoughts on “Idioms About Money

1. 1.Anna _pay her an arm and a leg_______ for her new house, and now she has financial problems.
    2.I’m not live hand to mouth_____, but I’m not broke, either. (broke = poor, with no money)
    3.If you want to buy a new TV, you need to pinch pennies________ in order to have enough money for it.
    4.It’s difficult for Wanda to make ends meet _______. Sometimes she doesn’t pay her bills on time.
    5.You didn’t ask for my two cents_______, but I’m going to tell you anyway.
    6.If Jose gets this new job at Google, he’s going to loaded________!
    7.Many people make a killing_________ because they don’t have a lot of money. They just live paycheck to paycheck.