For several days, we haven’t had classes at Wake Tech because of snow. What are you doing during this time? Do you like snow? Do you like cold?
I like to take a walk in the park when it snows. It is silent and beautiful. Every time I walk in the snow, I think about a poem called “Velvet Shoes” by Elinor Wylie. This poem describes two people walking in the snow. It is a quiet, soft poem.
First, let’s look at some vocabulary:
velvet : a soft fabric
soundless : without sound, quiet (adding -less to a word makes it negative: harmless, heartless, loveless, painless, etc.)
tranquil : peaceful, quiet
gull : a white ocean bird; seagull
down : feathers
dew : the water on the ground in the morning
The poem repeats the word “shall.” This word is not common now. Now we use the word “will” (future tense). You will also see the word “shod.” This is not a common word. It means “wearing shoes.” “Shod in silk, shod in wool” means “wearing silk shoes, wearing wool shoes.”
When you read this poem, you can click on the blue words for a picture of the vocabulary word.
by Elinor Wylie
Let us walk in the white snow
In a soundless space;
With footsteps quiet and slow,
At a tranquil pace,
I shall go shod in silk,
And you in wool,
White as white cow’s milk,
Than the breast of a gull.
We shall walk through the still town
In a windless peace;
We shall step upon white down,
Upon silver fleece,
Upon softer than these.
We shall walk in velvet shoes:
Wherever we go
Silence will fall like dews
On white silence below.
We shall walk in the snow.
Practice. Answer “yes” or “no”.
1. The two people are running in the woods.
2. All of their clothes are white (white sweater, white dress, white pants, white shoes…).
3. It is windy.
4. It is quiet.
5. They are singing loudly.
Practice again. Write the correct vocabulary word.
1. In the morning, I see ________ on the flowers and on the grass.
2. I enjoy spending a ______________ evening at home reading a book or listening to classical music.
3. You see many _________s at the ocean in the summer.
4. Some people like _________ pillows because they are very soft.
5. In the winter, it’s good to wear __________ pants, but in the summer, cotton is better.