Is it difficult to read in English? Sometimes, we write and pronounce words differently. For example, you read, “I walked to school” like “I walkt to skool.” Sometimes the spelling and the pronunciation is not the same.
But there is good news! You can learn pronunciation rules that can help you pronounce words correctly. About 80% of English uses pronunciation rules. The other 20% are exceptions.
There is an order to learning the 44 sounds of English.
- consonants (b, c, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, p, q, r, s, t, v, w, x, y, z)
- 5 short vowels (a, e, i, o, u)
- words with short vowels (cat, leg, lip, mop, rug)
- consonant blends (brush, grass, smart, etc.)
- 5 long vowels (a, e, i, o, u)
- words with long vowels (late, meet, like, smoke, flute)
- exceptions to the rules
If you want to start with the letter sounds, click here. (This website is for children, but is the best one for hearing different sounds!)
Today we will look at short A.
Click on this link to hear a story. Practice reading the story. Repeat after the narrator. Does your “a” and his “a” sound the same?
Listen to the story again and write the word.
- Dan has a ____________.
- The _________ is for work.
- He has a _________ in his van.
- He looks at the _______ a lot.
- He _________ go west.
- He _________ go east.
- He _________ go north.
- He _________ go south.
- Dan is ___________ to have a ________ in his van for work.
For more stories, click here.
Next week, we will look at more difficult pronunciation and spelling. See you then!