Families often struggle with finances and it can lead to conflict and stress. Not everyone knows how to budget and other basic money skills. It’s especially hard if you’ve recently come to this country and are not familiar with its financial norms.
The U.S Committee For Refugees and Immigrants offer very useful 8 hour workshops designed to give you skills to improve your family relationships and your financial skills. There are classes meeting on Wednesdays from 6:00pm-7:45pm at 201 Dixie Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607
Please contact for Ruth Mufandaedza at (919) 334-0072 ext 4037 for details on registering for the next available opening.
Please look at the following flyer and the Family Strengthening Brochure for additional information.
It’s never to early to start planning so please take a look at these flyers for classes that connect ESL students to Business and Healthcare careers. Both classes will be given start in January 2019.
Due to the closures caused by Hurricane Michael, ESL Long Distance (Burlington) registration was rescheduled.
It will now be held on October 29th at 6:00 pm at the BEC in Room 406.
Wake Tech sites will delay opening until 10:00 AM on Friday, October 12, 2018.
The Knightdale Recreation Center (KRCC) has cancelled ESL class on Friday.
Due to the weather, Wake Tech Community College classes (both day and evening classes) will be cancelled on Thursday, October 11, 2018.
ALL ESL classes at community sites are cancelled too.
Normal operations will resume Friday, October 12, 2018.
Be ready and don’t worry if you get an alert on your cell phone tomorrow, October 3rd, between 2:18pm and 2:20pm. It’s a test.
- Phones across the country will all receive an emergency alert test between approximately 2:18 and 2:20 pm EST.
- This is the first-ever test of the country’s emergency communications system with a presidential alert.
- It will be the same tone and vibration as tornado and AMBER Alert warnings. Users cannot opt out .
- It should have a header that reads “Presidential Alert” and text “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”
The system was set up in 2006 and is intended to notify the public of hazardous situations. While the Emergency Alert System has been tested before, the Wednesday test will be the first time the nationwide Wireless Emergency Alert system will be tested. This system is used to notify the public about dangerous weather, missing children, and other regionally critical situations through alerts on cellular phones. Cell phones turned on and within range of an active cell tower are expected to receive the message. Some older phones may not get the message.
September 25th was National Voter Registration Day . Volunteers across the nation hit the street to register lots of potential voters. However, if you missed it, there’s still time and other ways to register to vote.
Are you eligible to vote in NC? To register in North Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of North Carolina and the county in which you live for at least 30 days prior to the election
- be 18 years of age by the day of the next general election
- have your rights of citizenship restored if you have been convicted of a felony
- not be registered or vote in any other county or state
Did you know… …
By-mail Voter Registration
- Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form. Page 3 is the form Page 15 is the mailing address
- Box 6 – ID Number: Provide your North Carolina driver’s license number, or North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles ID number. If you do not have a driver’s license, then list the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Box 7 – Choice of Party: North Carolina does NOT require that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections. If you do not affiliate with a party you may choose the party primary you wish to vote in. If you choose to register with a party you can only vote in that party’s primary.
- Box 8 – Race or Ethnic Group: You are required by the Federal Voting Rights Act to fill in this box. However, your application will not be rejected if you fail to do so.
- Review the “Who can vote?” section above and check that you’re eligible.
- Sign the form.
- Send the completed form to your local election official. To register by mail, the form must be received by Friday, October 12.
This is a wonderful opportunity for those wanting to work in the hospitality field (hotels / restaurants ). the class starts next week and you must register before the start day.
Hurricane Florence caused us to cancel several registrations. The following have been rescheduled and are all at the Beltline Center (BEC)
- ESL Long Distance Learning – Thursday , September 20th at 6:00 pm
- Saturday ESL Class – Saturday, September 29th at 9:00 am
- Citizenship Classes – Saturday, September 29th at 9:00 am