The next category in our series of getting to know the English Blog is “Pronunciation”, an area that our students struggle with. They can use these links to help them with making specific sounds, discriminating between sounds (using minimal pairs for example), reductions and stress tips.
Let’s look at the highlighted external links:
- Starfall – is favored by many teachers. Although geared for children, it’s extremely useful for adult beginners. The “Learn to Read” section has good sound families exercises.
- Story by Story Phonics Lessons– has very short, simple stories that focus on a particular sound.
- Both Ship or Sheep Minimal Pairs and Many Things Minimal Pairs are quick and easy ways to practice over 30 sounds.
- Videos are an excellent way to focus on certain sounds and the …Pronunciation Videos page has good several links.
- Finally the …More Pronunciation Links page lists many more sites (some for advanced learners) that focuses on reduction, mispronounced words and other issues.
We are always looking for more good student sites for this difficult subject . If you have any that are not listed, please add a comment and let us know.